Saturday, May 5, 2012

Eating on a Budget; Taxis in Yeosu

In this program we get a 216,000 won ($27) per day stipend for food.  I've never had to be on a budget for food...ever! And when I'm on a budget I get really stingy with money.  Despite how much I want to go out and eat every day, in order to save money I'm going to have to go grocery shopping and learn how to cook. I'm trying to save as much money as possible so that I can gather the left-over money from each day and put it towards buying a train (or bus) ticket to Seoul!!! My first trip to Seoul will be on March 21st and 22nd to celebrate my friend, Chelsea's, 21st birthday! And when I mean Seoul I really mean HONGDAE!!!! (Hongdae is a district near Ewha and Yonsei Univeristy with lots of clubs). 

Saturday night, after our first shift, my friends Chelsea, Bjorn, Josh, and I were planning to go to Lotte Mart (a big supermarket with almost everything). That was a hugggggggge failure. Lotte Mart is not walking distance from the Expo so we decided to take a cab. Our first mistake: leaving at the same time 1/3 of Expo visitors. In hopes to find a taxi on a more busier street we walked further away from the expo. On multiple occasions within that one night we were rejected my taxi drivers. We were even about to physically get into one but then he said "No". I asked why but he just drove away. -.-.... Are taxi drivers prejudice towards foreigners???? I pretty sure they are. Next time we'll be more prepared. First, if we want to go anywhere by cab we'll have the front text of our apartment complex to call for us. Second, if we take the bus (which is free during expo!) we'll get a map of Yeosu and of the bus routes. At least we learned early. After 1.5 hours, we gave up on going to Lotte mart and went to a Minimart instead where I bought today's breakfast:


Corn Flakes with Flion the Lion (i'm not making this up)
Soy bean milk (thanks to Bjorn I found it)
and Minute Maid OJ (this was provided by Coca Cola since they are one of our sponsors)

Yumm~

Today hopefully I can get some fruit (which I heard is so much more expensive here than in the States :( ), eggs, and soup. More healthier options.

There is still so much to write about but it's time to go out and explore!
Thanks for reading! 

3 comments:

  1. you can do it! eating on a budget is definitely a challenge after eating in a dining hall for so many months. I miss you! stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if they were prejudice towards foreigners, but I think if anything, it's because they didn't speak English. And they probably got scared to talk to any foreigners.. wait... maybe they are prejudice towa..
    ...
    .

    ...
    hi momo .. i miss you mucho!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flion the Lion... that's amazing. Also I hope the official opening of the Expo went alright for you, can't wait for an update!

    ReplyDelete