Sunday, May 27, 2012

"Chef" Symone

Back home in DC the majority of my meals were microwaved food from Whole Foods. In Massachusetts my school's campus has 13 dining halls to choose from. This being said, I rarely, aka never, cook. Here in Yeosu I've given myself the challenge to cook filling and to-some-extent-healthy meals. Here's my progress so far.

Dish #1

Ddokbokggi - Spicy Rice Cakes
I added cucumber to make it my special :)


It tasted good but it's made badly. There is hardly enough sauce. I didn't know to add water until the nice cleaning 이모 (aunt) gave me cooking advice. I'll know for next time! 


Final meal-- Spicy rice cakes, rice in tofu wrap, and pickled radish

Dish #2:
Bean Sprout Soup

I saw it at a restaurant and decided to attempt to make it. Key word: attempt. It wasn't too bad but the taste could have been a lot better.


Final meal-- left over Spicy rice cake, bean sprout soup, and pickled radish (if you can't tell it's my favorite side dish)

Dish #3:
Soba noodles 

I learned about Soba noodles from a graduated senior friend, Sarah Kang. My noodles aren't the same as hers but it was still very tasty. Since the noodles are served cold I can make a big batch and bring it to work in tubberware for lunch/dinner. 





Put the noodles in soy sauce, chopped garlic, and a litttlleeee bit of sesame oil.


Final meal-- Soba, left-over bean sprout soup, and fruit (kiwi and korean melon)

I'm running out of food and needed to eat what I had left so that's why the components of this meal are very random. 

All of these meals are really simple to make but I have to start somewhere! Just that fact that I'm chopping up fresh vegetables and cooking them is amazing to me. I feel like an adult!!!!!!

Within the week Chelsea and I are going to cook for our friends at the Australian, Thai, and German Pavilion. We were trying to think of what types of dishes fell under the category of "American food". Our result: Soul food. We'll make fried chicken, mash potatoes, macaroni and cheese, etc. We'll see how that goes.

More updates coming soon! Thanks for reading :)

2 comments: