Saturday, May 5, 2012

Day 2 and 3: Updates!

And here's for a much needed update:

On Thursday and Friday we had orientation and FINALLY I know exactly what the role of the student ambassadors is: we are running the USA pavilion. Simple? Hardly. Other than us, there are about 15 other people (I can't say adults because we are all adults) on the USA Pavilion Team. They are the ones who did all the backstage preparations like design, retail, etc.  When the description of the program said Student Ambassadors will be the face of America, that was no joke. When people come to our pavilion we are the ones they interact. Some people have never come into contact with Americans before so we are their first impression. PRESSURE!

Yesterday (Saturday) was what the Expo calls a "soft" opening. The official opening of the Expo isn't until May 12th , however, they have this day as a test-run sort of thing. But, a soft opening is hardly that. The expo invites over 130,000 people...that's a lot! During this soft opening everyone got to trial-run each position (Preshow, Main Show, Post Show, Retail, and Queue line). Yesterday I started out in Main Show and then was rotated around to Queue line, which I think is the BEST! If you know me you know I love interacting with people so this position is perfect! I spoke with a lot of children (in both Korean and English), their parents, and elder people. I also was asked to take a lot of pictures with people (mainly kids). There was one guy who try to slyly take a couple of pictures of me. He failed because 1. It was extremely obvious and 2. His camera shutter sound was really loud. HAHA but it's okay, a little creepy, but okay. 

Today (Sunday) is our off day. I slept in.. a little (8:00am). Me and my friend Chelsea are planning to go find a beach (it's Yeosu, there has got to be beaches somewhere) and also go to Lotte Mart to buy groceries because I can't keep eating out every day. I still have to finish a take home test. Once I finish that I'll truly be finish with my first-year in college. I also am going to dedicate some time today for worship. I feel that I progressed a lot in building my faith these last two semesters. Although I don't have the support and help of friends back in Northampton, I still need to continue to build my faith and make it stronger. Doing that in Yeosu will be the ultimate test for me.

So that's the run down of the past couple of days. I'll be writing some other blogs on my specific things.

Thanks for reading~

No comments:

Post a Comment